Friday, February 24, 2012

Ominous Albany

When I think of ominous winter scenes, I generally am reminded of being in southern Vermont, high up in the mountains, with no one around for miles as the snow piled up outside.  I exaggerate only slightly.

Other scenes in Vermont may look familiar this winter, and are just as creepy:

Vermont in April 2009.  No snow, lots of haze.  Taken from my parents' deck.
Overall, I don't think of Albany as being a particularly ominous place, even during the autumn, although this can change during an Aqua Ducks Haunted Duck tour.

On the other, the lack of snow and cold this winter is certainly an ominous sign.  As was the lack of autumn in autumn.  (Of course, the lack of snow will change today, as a big storm moves into the Northeast.  Why?  Well I'm driving to Vermont, of course.)

Sometimes, the sky gets just that kind of eerie that makes for a nice afternoon, especially if it can be viewed from inside, on the couch, with a movie and a nice mocha latte.  The other day, there was just one of those skies.

These pictures have been taken over the course of the last couple of years.

Taken as the bus was coming to take me home, hence the blurriness. 
Taken from my apartment a few minutes later, which is always an ominous action in and of itself, as I have to stick my iPhone completely out my third story window in order to get this particular shot.
Taken from the 3rd floor of the Massry Center for the Arts at The College of Saint Rose.


This scene is no longer there.  It was the facade of Wellington Row, on State Street in Downtown Albany.  The buildings are all at the same height now, with the top of the Wellington Hotel having been removed in the stalled revitalization of this stretch.
Wellington Row from behind.
Taken the same day as the Wellington Row photos, just up the street.  These were taken just after my first semester as a student in Albany, in December 2008.
This one isn't quite so ominous, but it's pretty cool.  It's the Trinity Methodist Church on Lark Street. Though not the case at the time this was taken, I now sing in the choir here. 
I'll be saving up all my creepy photos to create another one of these posts in the future.  Maybe I'll even find a nice, creepy day and go to some nice, creepy area of town.  Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment