Monday, July 11, 2011

My Drunk Urban Planning

In the spirit of one of the most genius YouTube series I've ever seen, I've decided to get drunk and create plans for cities that are better than what people actually get paid lots of money to do now.  While sober.

The most logical beginning will be Albany, NY. 

If you look at a map of downtown, you'll see that it was designed while drunk the first time around, anyway. 
We'll visit the large intrusion in the middle at some point.  I'd like to even take a video of driving on that roller coaster loopy thing in the bottom right hand corner.  We'll see why they chose it to film an incoherent and implausible chase scene in Salt on these overpasses.
In the middle of the screen, toward the top, note the reflecting pool that forms the centerpiece of Empire State Plaza.  That's due for a visit within the week.  (I'm obligated via another blog that's returning to Vermont soon.)

Getting back on topic, this:


is stupid.

Look forward to My Drunk Urban Planning: Downtown Albany Edition soon.

As soon as I figure out how to draw maps.

Edit:  Just added to the list: Gloversville, NY.  If you'd like your city added*, click here.


* If outside of the Northeast** and/or within the next two (2) years, please provide air or train fare.  If within the Capital Region or even immediately outside of it, just let me know; I'll be there.
**But how do I define Northeast?  Well, there is a quite simple litmus test for this, which, conveniently, has little to do with traditional geography.  It is as folows:  Can I afford it?  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment